If there’s a single phrase to describe the nature of Germantown, it’s likely to be “a premier residential community”. The “residential” isn’t accidental or incidental. City leaders in the 1960s set a deliberate course to shape and define Germantown as an exceptional place in which to live and raise a family.
The City of Germantown has responded to citizen concern for quality neighborhoods by enacting ordinances that encourage considerate behavior between neighbors. These city laws were not made to cause hardship or create extra work. They were constructed to make sure that one person’s action – or lack of action – doesn't have a negative impact on other residents, the neighborhood and the community.
For more information, contact Code Compliance Officer Hunter Browndyke at HBrowndyke@Germantown-TN.gov or (901) 751-7602; Sr. Code Compliance Officer Diane DeSanctis at DDesanctis@Germantown-TN.gov or (901) 757-7294; or Sr. Code Compliance Officer George Dean at GDean@Germantown-TN.gov or (901) 751-7636.
Yard and Grounds Maintenance
- Property owners are responsible for cutting grass, weeds and noxious growths as often as necessary to prevent the growth from exceeding six inches in height.
- Trash and rubbish must be removed from the premises to prevent health and safety hazards.
- Dead trees must be removed by the owner.
- Shrubbery, trees or other vegetation cannot block the view of drivers at intersections.
Double Frontage Lots
Double frontage lots are those with property bordered by two non-intersecting streets, i.e. streets border both the front and rear property lines. Several special restrictions apply concerning the location of accessory structures, fences and swimming pools on these lots.
- Property owners are responsible for maintaining the grass, shrubbery and trees in the rear yard to the street curb. If there is a fence, the owner must maintain the area between the fence and the rear street curb.
- Fences on double frontage lots must be maintained in a state of good repair at all times.
- Double frontage lot owners who have sidewalks along the front and rear property lines are responsible for maintaining both sidewalks and foliage overhang. Trimmings, grass clippings or any other trash from curb on the rear side must be brought to the front curb for pickup.
- The adjacent property owner is responsible for keeping sidewalks in good repair and clear of debris.
- Foliage from tree limbs overhanging sidewalks must be kept trimmed to a minimum of eight feet above the sidewalk. Limbs that hang over the street must be trimmed to 12 feet or higher.
Open ditches and storm drains
- It is unlawful to place any type of trash, debris, yard trimmings, grass clippings, chemicals, paints, waste oil, etc., in the City's drainage ditches or street storm drains. It can cause flooding and serious environmental pollution.
- Blowing grass clippings or leaves into the streets is a violation of City code.
- Any person observing such a violation should report the incident to the City immediately.
To report a violation, weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m, call Code Compliance at (901) 757-7263. After 5 p.m. and on weekends and holidays, call Germantown Police Department at (901) 757-7338.