• Do not leave purses or wallets unattended.
• Do not leave credit cards, checks, etc. in vehicles.
• Do not carry credit cards you don't use.
• Do not carry your Social Security card or have the SS number printed on driver's license or checks.
• Do not list more than your address and phone number on your check.
• Put outgoing mail in a collection box not a mailbox.
• Collect mail as soon as possible after delivery.
• Pay attention to billing cycles so you notice missing mail.
• Don't give out personal information by telephone, mail or Internet unless you initiated the contact
or are familiar with the business.
• Shred billing statements and other documents that may contain personal information.
If you are a victim of identity theft, contact the three main credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your account.
Trans Union 1-800-680-7289
Also be sure to file a report with the proper law enforcement agency.